On the Web:
- New Circle Investors, New US Dollar Account Features, China Horizons – Circle Blog – “Today we announced a major step forward in the execution of our vision and product strategy. We’ve closed a new $50 million strategic investment round co-led by Goldman Sachs and IDG Capital Partners.”
- This Digital Wallet Could Finally Get You Into Bitcoin – “In other words, the Circle wallet will soon work just like Venmo or any other money-transfer app, except it also works seamlessly with bitcoin, so you can handle your money in the form you value the most.”
- Capital One exec predicts mass shift to Apple Pay this year – Mobile Commerce Daily – “I really believe we’re going to have this mass shift over to contactless payments,” Mr. Moreton said. “What you see is this huge change over a relatively short period of time.”
- In Code We Trust – New York Times Magazine – “One way to understand this chaos is to see that power is shifting. The authority to create, move and define money — once confined to central banks and treasury departments — is being dispersed to an odd mix of entrepreneurs, libertarian hackers and old-line banking institutions.”
- Financial Giants Set Up Tech Hubs in Manhattan – Wall St. Journal – “MasterCard is one of several big-name financial services firms that are opting to set up tech divisions in prime Manhattan real-estate markets outside of their headquarters because many increasingly see themselves more as technology companies.”
- Online hackathon seeks to build solutions using Aadhaar app interface – Business Standard – “AngelPrime, a seed-stage venture capital fund based in Bengaluru, and Nasscom, in collaboration with UIDAI, will host the first of its kind online ‘Aadhaar Application Hackathon’ in June this year. The hackathon aims to encourage and promote the development of applications using the Aadhaar application programme interfaces (APIs).”
- Bitcoin Could Impact Credit Unions, Report Says – CoinDesk – “…we could see the proliferation of a host of new financial services backed by bitcoin, many of which are directly associated with the core businesses of credit unions today.”
On the Wires:
- MasterCard Named Exclusive Card Processor by Green Dot Bank – Green Dot Chief Operating Officer, Kuan Archer said, “Our processing technology team has been working closely with MasterCard for the past 15 months on the integration of our two technology platforms. While certainly this project has required a significant amount of time and effort, we believe the ultimate end-state of having the most state-of-the-art, high-scale processing platform underpinning our current and future suite of modern banking products and mobile solutions will pay off in terms of our ability to create new, innovative products and services.”
- Visa: Payments Industry Moves to Help Simplify Chip Card Acceptance – “The Payments Security Task Force today joined with the PCI Security Standards Council and the EMV Migration Forum to launch a chip education curriculum and “pre-qualification” program to help streamline and simplify the EMV testing and certification process for Value Added Resellers (VARs) and Independent Software Vendors (ISVs). … To learn more about the educational efforts, visit
- Stratos Card Begins Shipping In April – “Stratos Card combines credit, debit, membership, gift and other magnetic stripe cards in one digital Bluetooth card.”
Glenbrook’s 2015 Payments Education
- Our next spring Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for May 19-20 in Menlo Park, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on May 21 on the topic of The New Point of Sale.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events.
Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Headline News from PaymentsNews.com – April 30, 2015
Payments News – from Glenbrook Partners
Payments News ISSN 1556-4487. Compilation Copyright © Glenbrook Partners LLC, 2002-2013. All Rights Reserved.