Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Macau’s ATMs Are Using Facial Recognition to Help Follow the Money
– Bloomberg – “Chinese bettors withdrawing money from some ATMs in Macau need to do more than punch in their PIN code. They also have to stare into a camera for six seconds so facial-recognition software can verify their identity and help monitor transactions.”
- Capital One, Groupe Arnault back e-commerce fraud preventer Riskified
– Reuters – “Riskified, whose clients include U.S. retailers Macy’s and Foot Locker Inc, said it would use the funds to expand globally and accelerate sales of its software, which helps merchants spot online payment fraud and reduce false alarms that cause genuine buyers to be turned down. In 2016, every dollar of fraud cost merchants $2.40, up from $2.23 a year ago, according to a report from LexisNexis. Fraud as a percentage of revenues grew to 1.47 percent from 1.32 percent over the year.
- FIS Expands Cardless Cash to Thousands of U.S. Cardtronics ATMs
– Digital Transactions News – “Cardless cash access at ATMs is expanding. ATM operator Cardtronics plc, which owns or operates more than 233,000 ATMs globally, is adding FIS Cardless Cash access to its U.S. machines, Fidelity National Information Services Inc. (FIS) announced Thursday.”
- Swift Completes Blockchain Smart Contracts Trial
– Coindesk – “Interbank messaging platform Swift has completed a blockchain proof-of-concept in partnership with startup SmartContract. The proof-of-concept, revealed today, is the first project to use SmartContract’s ChainLink v1.0, which lets users connect smart contracts to data feeds, web APIs and a number of payment methods.”
- Beijing subway wants more commuters to go cardless
– Today Online – “Despite an average daily ridership of 12.69 million commuters, only a million have used their smartphones to pay since mobile payments were introduced in all the city’s subway stations in 2013.
One reason for the feature’s low popularity is that it requires mobiles to have a special SIM card with embedded NFC (near-field communication) technology.
However in the last year, more manufacturers have been adding an NFC component to their handsets, meaning users need only download an app to pay fares, recharge online and conduct real-time transfers.”
ON THE WIRES
- Ripple’s Blockchain Solution Powers Instant Remittances from SBI Remit to Siam Commercial Bank
– “Siam Commercial Bank (SCB), in collaboration with Japan’s SBI Remit, is using Ripple’s blockchain enterprise solution to power real-time remittance payments between Japan and Thailand. A first for the corridor, Ripple’s cross-border payments network solution is helping remittances from Japan reach SCB retail customers easily and faster than ever before.”
- Warply Launches the Innovative Keyboard Payments Solution
– “Warply – one of the top European companies in Mobile Loyalty & Payments – launched the new Warply Keyboard Payments for mobile payments and P2P transactions via messaging apps. The new innovative solution is available exclusively for mobile banking apps, globally. Warply Keyboard Payments is a unique solution, due to the fast integration process with any banking app – since it uses banks’ existing infrastructure – and the easy customization in look and feel.”
- SAFARICOM TO UPGRADE M-PESA TO NEW PLATFORM
– “The new M-PESA platform paves the way for Safaricom to rollout more features and enhancements on the service to the more than 26 million M-PESA customers. Among the new features that customers can look forward to include M-Shwari and KCB M-PESA implementation in the Safaricom App. “
- BBVA brings Alipay to Spain
– “BBVA signs an agreement that allows Chinese tourists to pay in Spanish stores using Alipay mobile wallet, the largest online and mobile payment platform in the world operated by Ant Financial Services.”
- Youtap Packages X8 POS Device as Complete Solution for Mobile Money Payment Processing in Africa and Asia
– “Youtap’s new NFC X8 is a small, low-cost point-of-sale device that can fit easily in a merchant’s pocket or be worn around the neck. The X8 can process all mobile money transactions, including cash-in and cash-out transactions, airtime top-ups, bill payments and in-store payments.”
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Understanding the accelerating pace of change in the payments industry has never been more important. Get the knowledge you need fast at one of our two day Payments Boot Camps. Our one day Insight Workshops follow each Boot Camp and are deep dives into key topics. Take a discount for attending all three days. Here’s our fall schedule:
For more, click here. We hope to see you soon!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook’s Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We’re hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events.
Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!
Headline News from PaymentsNews.com – June 30, 2017
Payments News – from Glenbrook Partners
Payments News ISSN 1556-4487. Compilation Copyright © Glenbrook Partners LLC, 2002-2013. All Rights Reserved.