Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Telegram now lets users buy things from chatbots in its messaging app
– TechCrunch – “Telegram, which puts a focus on security, introduced chatbots nearly two years ago, and now it is bringing support for payments for chatbots. That’s likely to open up a whole series of commercial opportunities for companies that want to use the chatbot platform to connect with consumers. The most obvious is e-commerce, but real-life commerce through bots — for example, buy a coke in a shop by interacting with its bot — is a possibility that other companies beyond Telegram are considering. Kik CEO Ted Livingston recently told TechCrunch that the introduction of payments is key to making chatbots live up to the hype.”
- Google announces Payment API, Assistant payments, targeted Android Pay loyalty offers & more
– 9to5Google – “The new Google Payment API, which will work with both verified credit or debit cards linked to a Google account, is launching to enable faster payments in apps and online by requiring only a security code or authentication with an Android device to complete a purchase. Google is accepting sign ups for developers that are interested in getting early access to the new API.”
- Cryptocurrency Market Cap Tops $60 Billion to Hit All-Time High
– Coindesk – “The total market capitalization of all cryptocurrencies reached an all-time high today, passing $60bn as the innovative assets continued to draw robust inflows. This figure reached $63.6bn at one point during the day’s trading, according to online data service CoinMarketCap, which represented a weekly, monthly and quarterly increase of roughly 18%, 115% and 220%, respectively.”
- Fraudsters Exploited Lax Security at Equifax’s TALX Payroll Division
– Krebs on Security – “Identity thieves who specialize in tax refund fraud had big help this past tax year from Equifax, one of the nation’s largest consumer data brokers and credit bureaus. The trouble stems from TALX, an Equifax subsidiary that provides online payroll, HR and tax services. Equifax says crooks were able to reset the 4-digit PIN given to customer employees as a password and then steal W-2 tax data after successfully answering personal questions about those employees.”
- Cayan preps new mPOS device, the Genius Mini
– Mobile Payments Today – “Cayan said in a press release that the Genius Mini supports the growing trend of retailers and restaurants embracing mobile tablet POS systems and can accept all payment types including chip cards, NFC mobile payment and magstripe cards.”
- The Modern Mobile Web: State of the Union
– Chromium.org – “What a difference a year makes. Last year at Google I/O, we shared that the mobile web was open for business. New technologies such as AMP and Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) were bringing new capabilities, better performance, and a streamlined workflow to the mobile web. Fast forward one year later: more than two billion AMP pages have been created and “PWA” has proved to be far more than a buzzword—it’s now the way that many businesses around the world are building for mobile devices. “
ON THE WIRES
- First Data Launches Global eCommerce Solution for Payment Facilitators
– “With First Data’s Global PFAC solution, payment facilitators have access to a single integration interface, enabling their merchants to easily authorize transactions in more than 150 currencies worldwide, and settle in 17 currencies.”
- Wells Fargo Helps Automates Accounts Receivables
– “Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE:WFC) announced today significant enhancements to the Receivables Manager service offered to Treasury Management customers. The industry-leading tool saves time and improves efficiency for accounts receivable departments. Receivables Manager now offers three distinct capabilities – remittance advice matching, ACH and wire repair, and an integrated receivables file– that together streamline and automate the receivables application and posting processes.”
- XRP Liquidity to Increase With Listings on 6 New Exchanges
– “Ripple, the only blockchain payments provider with proven commercial deployments, has announced today the expansion of its partnership with BitGo to list XRP on several leading digital asset exchanges: Bitso, Coinone, bitbank, and SCI’s BuyBitcoin. Additionally, AlphaPoint will be adding XRP to their platform so that their exchange customers can easily list XRP, and separately, Quoine’s QRYPTO exchange will list XRP in Q2 2017. SBI Virtual Currencies also plans to list XRP later this year.”
- Portland Launches Mobile Parking Payment App, Parking Kitty, Powered by Passport
– “Portland, Oregon is changing the city’s parking experience. Doing away with a few of the hassles traditionally associated with city parking, Portland has launched Parking Kitty, a mobile payment app powered by Passport, the global leader in mobile payments for parking and transit. The mobile application will also be available throughout the region at Washington Park and Portland State University.”
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Understanding the accelerating pace of change in the payments industry has never been more important. Get the knowledge you need fast at one of our two day Payments Boot Camps. Our one day Insight Workshops follow each Boot Camp and are deep dives into key topics such as digital payments and the global phenomenon of real-time push payments. Take a discount for attending all three days. Our workshop schedule is all set for the fall. Check it out here. We hope to see you soon!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook’s Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We’re hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events.
Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!
Headline News from PaymentsNews.com – May 19, 2017
Payments News – from Glenbrook Partners
Payments News ISSN 1556-4487. Compilation Copyright © Glenbrook Partners LLC, 2002-2013. All Rights Reserved.