Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Mobile Wallet Paytm Hits Pay Dirt Amid India’s Cash Crackdown
– Wall Street Journal (Paywall) – “India’s second-most-valuable startup, the mobile-payments app Paytm, has a new target after proving itself more popular than credit cards. “We’re competing with cash,” said Madhur Deora, Paytm’s chief financial officer. “In India, we’re not competing with cards.””
- Banks And Non-Banks Play to Their Strengths As They Eye a $1.2 Trillion P2P Market
– Digital Transactions News – “The P2P payments arena is hotly contested, with bank providers such as JPMorgan Chase & Co., Capital One, USAA, and Bank of America—all participants in Zelle, a soon-to-be-launched P2P service—contending for adoption with entities such as PayPal Holdings Inc.’s Venmo, Square Cash, and Facebook Messenger. Popmoney, a P2P service from Fiserv Inc., also is popular with banks.”
- Ten Year Futures
– Benedict Evans blog – “Now that mobile is maturing and its growth is slowing, everyone in tech turns to thinking about what the Next Big Thing will be. It’s easy to say that ‘machine learning is the new mobile’ (and everyone does), but there are other things going on too. “
- Why the Chinese Will Pay for Content That Americans Won’t
– Bloomberg – “Back in early 2016, Li Xiang was just another overworked magazine editor in Beijing. Then along came an opportunity to produce a business newsletter on a brand-new app called De Dao. In just a few months that app—which means “I Get” in English—had attracted millions of users looking for daily advice and to learn everything from music to economics. And Li? Within months, he had close to 100,000 subscribers paying about $30 a year—which works out to almost $3 million in annual revenue. “
- Blockchain.info Wallet Recommends a US$26 Bitcoin Transaction Fee Instead of A Normal Amount
– NewsBTC – “While paying a higher Bitcoin transaction fee has become somewhat of the norm, things are not improving. Instead, it appears the fees are only getting worse as more time progresses. Anything over US$1 in fees is considered expensive in the cryptocurrency world. Things only get worse when a wallet recommends paying US$26 or more to transfer bitcoins. That is an outrageous amount of money, to say the least.”
ON THE WIRES
- Carnival Corporation to Offer Alipay Payment Services Onboard its Fleet in Asia
– “Carnival Corporation & plc,, the world’s largest leisure travel company, today announced it has signed an agreement to offer Alipay payment services onboard its cruise ship fleet in Asia, including multiple ships in China. The partnership will enable Chinese guests sailing with Carnival Corporation’s brands in Asia to pay for onboard products and services using the convenience of Alipay, China’s most popular mobile payment and lifestyle platform operated by Ant Financial Services Group, a related company of Alibaba, the largest online commerce company in China.”
- Zain signs MoU with Mastercard to boost digital payment services in Jordan
– “Zain has signed a strategic partnership agreement with Mastercard, a leading technology company in the global payments industry, to boost digital payment services in Jordan through ‘Zain Cash’ mobile wallet service powered by Mastercard.”
- Discover Enhances Customer Service with In-App Messaging
– “Discover announced today the launch of messaging, a customer service option that allows customers to communicate with Discover’s customer service agents without having to stop and restart numerous interactions. The new feature, which will be rolled out in phases, enables customers to message Discover’s customer service representatives via the Discover mobile app.”
- Crédit Agricole adds HCE mobile payments in France through Dejamobile
– NFC World – “Customers of French bank Crédit Agricole can now make host card emulation (HCE) based mobile payments using a new version of the bank’s mobile app ‘Ma Carte’ and Paylib, an online payment acceptance brand supported by France’s main banks.”
- PayRange Takes the “Coin” out of Coin Laundry
– “PayRange Inc., maker of the world’s simplest mobile payment solution for machines, announced it is available for commercial laundry. Laundromats are synonymously known as “coin laundry” due to their reliance on coins to operate. In a mature 80-year old industry, mobile payment innovation brings the commercial washers and dryers into the digital age aligning with today’s consumers. The innovative solution allows operators to upgrade existing machines in two minutes to accept payment via a smart phone.”
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Understanding the accelerating pace of change in the payments industry has never been more important. Get the knowledge you need fast at one of our two day Payments Boot Camps. Our one day Insight Workshops follow each Boot Camp and are deep dives into key topics such as digital payments and the global phenomenon of real-time push payments. Take a discount for attending all three days. Our workshop schedule is all set for the fall. Check it out here. We hope to see you soon!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook’s Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We’re hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events.
Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!
Headline News from PaymentsNews.com – May 31, 2017
Payments News – from Glenbrook Partners
Payments News ISSN 1556-4487. Compilation Copyright © Glenbrook Partners LLC, 2002-2013. All Rights Reserved.