Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- How Apple’s New Face ID Works
– Gizmodo – “The technology builds on Touch ID and is called Face ID, of course. It uses a new selfie camera setup in the iPhone 10 called the “TrueDepth camera system.” TrueDepth uses a set of sensors, cameras, and a dot projector to create an incredibly detailed 3D map of your face.”
- Venmo is offering users an (ugly) physical debit card
– TechCrunch – “After Square unveiled a free debit card that would be tied to their Square Cash App, it was only a matter of time until we saw Venmo do something similar. Now TechCrunch has learned that Venmo is inviting some users to a beta program where they’ll be sent a card for free that is attached to their Venmo account. Users can pay with this card in stores and online just like a normal debit card — and the money spent will be debited from their Venmo balance.”
- Belgian banks bid to banish passwords with itsme app
– Finextra – “Belgium’s major banks and mobile network operators have joined forces to create an app that lets people replace their various online usernames and passwords with a single code or fingerprint.”
- No ATM needed: Standard Chartered partners start-up soCash on 400 cash withdrawal points
– Straits Times – “Standard Chartered Bank has partnered financial technology start-up soCash, which will allow its customers to withdraw cash at over 400 points through the bank’s mobile app, SC Mobile. The cash points include merchants such as Buzz, U Star, UMart, as well as convenience stores and minimarts islandwide. Instead of having to look for an ATM, Standard Chartered Bank customers now have the option of getting cash through soCash, which has been integrated into the SC Mobile app.”
- The Evolution of Trust in the Era of Platforms and Blockchain
– Wall Street Journal CIO Journal – “The IBM study analyzed the responses of the early adopters to figure out what’s driving them to embrace blockchain at this early stage. It found that early adopters viewed blockchain as a kind of trust accelerator.”
- UNDERSTANDING CRYPTO REGULATIONS
– Multicoin Capital blog – “In light of the recent actions by the US Securities and Exchange Commission and People’s Bank of China, we’re receiving a lot of questions about regulation. In this post, we’ll provide some frameworks to understand how governments can enforce regulations on public blockchains.”
- Monopoly without a monopolist : An economic analysis of the bitcoin payment system
– Bank of Finland – “Owned by nobody and controlled by an almost immutable protocol the Bitcoin payment system is a platform with two main constituencies: users and profit-seeking miners who maintain the system’s infrastructure.”
- The Equifax Breach: What You Should Know
– Krebs on Security – “But if ever there was a reminder that you — the consumer — are ultimately responsible for protecting your financial future, this is it. Here’s what you need to know and what you should do in response to this unprecedented breach.”
ON THE WIRES
- Rabobank introduces IBAN-Name Check
– “The IBAN-Name Check allows customers to check the name of the beneficiary before the transfer is executed,’ says Alexander Zwart, Manager Online Access at Rabobank. ‘The check works with all Dutch IBANs. If the entered name differs from the registered account holder, the user can cancel the transfer.”
- Starling Bank’s Marketplace goes live with Flux as first integrated partner
– “The Starling Marketplace is a brand new concept in banking whereby products from other fintech providers – and in the future lifestyle products – can sit within an easily browsed ecosystem all from within the app. These partners integrate with Starling Bank using their Open Banking and PSD2 compliant APIs.”
- STACK PARTNERS WITH MASTERCARD TO OFFER PREPAID CARDS WITHIN FINANCIAL SERVICES PLATFORM
– “Stack provides users with an all-encompassing banking platform, offering financial services like mobile tap-to-pay, tracking spending, automated savings, and a rewards program for reaching financial goals. Stack has 20,000 Android users registered for the beta, which will onboard users this month.”
- Bank of Ireland Partners with WorldFirst to Launch Fast and Secure International Payments Service with No Transaction Fees in US
– “Bank of Ireland Global Markets has today announced that it is expanding its U.S. customer offering by launching Bank of Ireland Global Payments – a foreign exchange and payments service in partnership with WorldFirst. This unique alliance between a FinTech company and a traditional bank will allow businesses in the U.S. to make fast and safe international payments with no transfer fees.”
- TNS Report Uncovers Significant Global Variances in ATM Usage
– “The report, called Global Variances in ATM Usage, shares the results of a survey* which TNS commissioned early this year. It investigates, among other things, how frequently people used ATMs, whether they have used ATMs at mobile and temporary sites, whether they have used ATMs in other countries, and their willingness to pay ATM fees. It also explores the reasons why some chose not to use ATMs.”
- At Finovate: ATM Innovation for Emergency Assistance and Merchant Rebates
– “With Mastercard Cash Pick-Up®, a bank can help an individual or company send money to anyone with a valid mobile phone number. A text message is sent to a recipient’s mobile telephone providing him or her with an order number, four-digit PIN and directions to the nearest branded ATM.”
- KBC launch new app to revolutionise account openings
– “KBC Bank Ireland, Ireland’s digital-first bank, has launched a ground-breaking new mobile app for new customers. KBC’s app is the first of its kind, and works by allowing customers to open, activate and use their bank account at any time, within just five minutes.”
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Understanding the accelerating pace of change in the payments industry has never been more important. Get the knowledge you need fast at one of our two day Payments Boot Camps. Our one day Insight Workshops follow each Boot Camp and are deep dives into key topics. Take a discount for attending all three days. Here’s our fall schedule:
For more, click here. We hope to see you soon!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook’s Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events.
Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!
Headline News from PaymentsNews.com – September 12, 2017
Payments News – from Glenbrook Partners
Payments News ISSN 1556-4487. Compilation Copyright © Glenbrook Partners LLC, 2002-2013. All Rights Reserved.